Photo Credit: Marcin Kin
Sam Sunderland set the pace on the opening stage of the Sealine Cross-Country Rally in Qatar to take an early lead in the race.
Following Tuesday’s short prologue, Sunderland got down to business in in the 334-kilometre long stage saw him take a 10-minute lead over Honda’s Paolo Goncalves.
“Starting from the back, the plan was to try to push and catch the guys,” told Sunderland. “But it was tricky.
“There was a lot of navigation and I had to try to change the mentality from the last rally in Abu Dhabi to this kind of terrain with all of its stones, and a lot of changes in direction.”
Honda made it a 2-3 on the day with Kevin Benavides coming home third.
Rockstar Energy Husqvarna factory riders Pablo Quintanilla and Pela Renet rode to a fourth and a fifth place
The rally is made up of four desert stages and finishes on Saturday.
Photo Credit: Honda Pro Racing
Results Stage 1 Sealine Cross-Country Rally 2017
1. Antoine Meo (FRA), KTM, 4:31.90 min
2. Matthias Walkner (AUT), KTM, +6:90 sec
3. Sam Sunderland (GBR), KTM, +8.30
4. Pela Renet (FRA), Husqvarna, +10.90
5. Kevin Benavides (ARG), Honda, +14:70
Results Stage 2 Sealine Cross-Country Rally 2017
1. Sunderland, 3:43:21 h
2. Paolo Goncalves (POR), Honda, +9:25 min
3. Kevin Benavides (ARG), Honda, +10:08
4. Pablo Quintanilla (CHI), Husqvarna, +12:34
5. Pela Renet (FRA), Husqvarna, +13:12
6. Matthias Walkner (AUT), KTM, +16:07
7. Antoine Meo (FRA), KTM, +36:37
8. Giemza, +52.38
9. Mohammad Al Balooshi (ARE), KTM +55.13
Standings Sealine Cross-Country Rally 2017 after 2 of 5 stages
1. Sunderland, 3:48:01.20 h
2. Goncalves, +9:32.90 min
3. Benavides, +10:14.40
4. Quintanilla, +12:53.80
5. Renet, +13:14.60
6. Walkner, +16:05.60
7. Meo, +36:28.70
8. Giemza, +53:13.90
9. Al Balooshi, +56:01.13