Josep Garcia clinches his first win of the 2020 season at Spain’s biggest enduro, the Bassella Race 1, with Jaume Betriu second and Benjamin Herrera third.
The 2020 Bassella Race 1 is done and dusted with the Sunday morning main enduro race where home boy Josep Garcia took first place in the Sunday two hour cross-country race.
Following the dramatic Saturday Xtreme prologue – won by Jonny Walker – the main race result was as we predicted a battle between Garcia and Jaume Betriu. Recently crowned best rookie at the 2020 Dakar Rally, Betriu had to settle for second ahead of Chilean Benjamin Herrera who's switched from EnduroGP to Extreme competition for Beta Racing in 2020.
2020 Bassella Race 1 in a nutshell:
- Josep Garcia started his 2020 season in style taking the win. The Spaniard took the lead early in the race and never looked back: “I was fourth in the Xtreme Race yesterday, so I had a good starting position for today,” explained Garcia. “Riding at the front and setting the pace isn’t easy, especially with Betriu behind…the last kilometres where a bit hectic with lappers but I managed to get the win.”
- Jaume Betriu made good use of an 11 litre fuel tank and subsequently needed less fuel stops to finish only half a second behind Garcia. At the finish line, Betriu said: “By the fifth kilometre I was already second. Garcia was able to make a gap on me in the first part of the race but I was taking it back every time he stopped for fuel. I had a great rhythm during the race and came out with second place.”
- Five minutes down, Beta Racing’s Benjamin Herrera took the third place on his first time racing Bassella: “It’s my first time here and I liked it a lot. I’ve never done a race as fast as this one, but I really enjoyed it. I was pushing a bit too much today and riding over my limit at some point but it paid off with third place,” admitted Herrera.
- Saturday’s Xtreme Race saw Jonny Walker take the win after a fight with Taddy Blazusiak, with Alfredo Gomez third. A terrible start in the main race saw Walker only able to finish eighth.
- Five times Enduro World Champion Ivan Cervantes showed up at the Bassella race and after topping the Classic race and being second at the Maxitrail, he finished ninth in the main race (pictured below).
2020 Bassella Race 1 results:
Bassella Xtreme Race results:
More information and full results: Bassella.com
Photo Credit: Enduro21/Nicki MartinezIgor AguadoEnduro21 Junior EditorIgor.firstname.lastname@example.org