Red Bull KTM Factory Racing’s Jonny Walker has maintained his lead in the World Enduro Super Series with a top 10 result at France’s Trèfle Lozérien AMV.
With round three of the mixed-discipline WESS championship coming days after the Erzbergrodeo in Austria, Walker was among many riders facing the switch from Hard Enduro to less familiar Classic Enduro racing at last weekend's Trèfle Lozérien.
After runner-up results at both the Erzbergrodeo and opening WESS ropund, Extreme XL Lagares, Walker arrived in France and points leader but facing a challenge from classic enduro specialists competing the series like team-mates Josep Garcia and Nathan Watson – not to mention the national riders who excel at this annual event.
Despite the slippery, grassy French special tests feeling worlds apart from the notoriously brutal boulder gardens and quarry climbs of Erzberg, Walker got on with the task in hand to good effect.
Photo Credit: Future7Media
Adapting quickly to the terrain, he positioned himself at the top-end of the results. Setting impressive special test times he ended day one in a promising 11th. Moving up to ninth on day two, Walker impressed all with his versatility.
Battling hard through the third and final day of racing, the KTM rider did enough to finish an eventual 10th overall, importantly extending his lead in the WESS championship to 275 points.
Jonny Walker: “I’m really happy with how things have gone this weekend. I knew jumping from Hard Enduro to Classic Enduro within the space of a couple of days would be difficult, but I tried to keep an open mind on things.
“The Trèfle Lozérien is a very specialised event and local riders always excel, so I knew finishing on the podium would be a big ask. I set a goal of top-15 so to end the race in 10th is even better than I expected.
“Also extending my lead in the series is fantastic. Next up is Red Bull Romaniacs and more familiar territory for me. I’ve won it twice and will be pushing hard to make it a third victory.”
Photo Credit: Future7Media
World Enduro Super Series (after round three):
- Jonny Walker (KTM - GB) 2130pts
- Manni Lettenbichler (KTM - GER) 1865pts
- Billy Bolt (Husqvarna - GB) 1830pts
- Graham Jarvis (Husqvarna - GB) 1818pts
- Taddy Blazusiak (KTM - POL) 1445pts
- Josep Garcia (KTM - ESP) 1425pts
- Paul Bolton (KTM - GB) 1262pts
- Wade Young (Sherco - RSA) 1220pts
- Travis Teasdale (Beta - RSA) 1030pts
- Nathan Watson (KTM - GB) 1008pts
Results: WESS Round Three, Trèfle Lozérien AMV
- Loic Larrieu (Yamaha - FRA) 51:05.319
- Theo Espinasse (Sherco - FRA) 51:16.117
- Josep Garcia (KTM - ESP) 51:16.819
- Emmanuel Albepart (Yamaha - FRA) 51:18.943
- Julien Gauthier (Yamaha - FRA) 51:21.246
- Johnny Aubert (Gas Gas - FRA) 51:39.191
- Nathan Watson (KTM - GB) 51:56.348
- Jeremy Miroir (Husqvarna - FRA) 51:56.388
- Vissac Pierre (Beta - FRA) 52:18.748
- Jonny Walker (KTM - GB) 52:35.836
The World Enduro Super Series continues with round four at Red Bull Romaniacs in Sibiu, Romania on July 24-28.