Xavier de Soultrait leads the way as the Sardegna Rally gets under way.
Marking the third round of the FIM Cross Country Rallies World Championship, Sardinia is a traditional stop in the series. Different from the norm, the Sardegna Rally sees competitors switch to enduro based rally bikes to navigate the tight and twisty terrain of the small Medereriann island.
With a short 2km sprint getting the prologue underway, it was Yamaha mounted de Soultrait who led the way.
He was followed closely by Vabbi Cominotto (Husqvarna) and Sherco’s Juan Pedrero.
Merzouga Rally winner, Kevin Benavides is also competing and he placed fourth with Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) completing the top five.
Stage one of the 2016 Sardinia Rally will see competitors complete a 270km circular route starting and ending in the city of Budoni.
It will be the first long stage of this 1,300km adventure in the heart of the Italian island.
The ninth edition of the Sardegna Rally takes from June 2-7.
Sardinia Rally 2016 - Prologue - Provisional Classification
1. Xavier de Soultrait (FRA), Yamaha, 1:23.14
2. Vanni Cominotto (ITA), Husqvarna, 1:24.00
3. Juan Pedrero (ESP), Sherco, 1:24.52
4. Kevin Benavides (ARG), Honda, 1:24.61
5. Adrien Van Beveren (FRA), Yamaha, 1:25.15
6. Olivier Pain (FRA), Beta, 1:25.26...
8. Helder Rodrigues (POR), Yamaha, 1:26.34
9. Alessandro Botturi (ITA), Yamaha, 1:27.17