2022 AORC Rnd 9 + 10 race recap: Bacon and Wilksch fastest – Jess Gardiner clocks 100 podiums
Video highlights, results and race recap from rounds nine and 10 of the 2022 Australian Off Road Championship where Kyron Bacon and Andrew Wilksch both took the scratch results across the two days in Kingston – Jessica Gardiner clocks 100 AORC podiums.
E1 class day 1
Mud can be a rare thing in the AORC series but relentless rain and strong, windy conditions in some of the tests at least didn’t stop Kyron Bacon taking yet another E1 class win – though he would fall short of the overall result by the final timing beam on day one.
With a total time of 1:03:07.680, Bacon protected his first place position in this class, winning ahead of Cooper Sheidow and Korey McMahon who fought all day for second and third places.
2022 AORC Round 9 E1 Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Kyron Bacon (Shop Yamaha Offroad Racing Team) 1:03:07.680
- Cooper Sheidow (Kessner Motorcycles, KTM Australia) 1:04:11.698
- Korey McMahon (GasGas Australia, Suttos Powersports) 1:04:31.887
- Blake Hollis (Shop Yamaha Offroad Racing Team) 1:05:35.619
- Will Price 1:06:19.468
E1 day 2
Tasmanian Bacon clocked in another consecutive E1 class win plus stepped it up with the fastest overall time of the day of 59:02.532. The Yamaha rider seemed a changed man compared to day one, pushing hard to take the scratch result and a strong championship lead.
GASGAS’s Korey McMahon remained cool, calm and collected all day, regardless of the WR450F test which was hard on both mind and body. After six laps, McMahon claimed second place with a total time of 1:00:17.587.
Rounding out the E1 podium today was Cooper Sheidow (Kessner Motorcycles, KTM Australia), who had a fantastic weekend in Kingston SE. With a total time of 1:00:41.270, Sheidow has further cemented his spot in the E1 Championship.
2022 AORC Round 10 E1 Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Kyron Bacon (Shop Yamaha Offroad Racing Team) 59:02.532
- Korey McMahon (GasGas Australia, Suttos Powersports) 1:00:17.587
- Cooper Sheidow (Kessner Motorcycles, KTM Australia) 1:00:41.270
- Blake Hollis (Shop Yamaha Offroad Racing Team) 1:01:32.485
- Jeremy Carpentier (Yamaha JGR Ballard’s Off Road Team) 1:01:59.818
E2 day 1
Josh Green’s form remains strong this close to the end of the 2022 season, despite a hand injury carried over from the ISDE. Green maintains a strong championship points lead, a fact amplified by Husqvarna’s Todd Waters currently out of action due to injury. It gives Green an extra lead whilst also opening up chances for the likes of Fraser Higlett (Beta) and Liam Mason.
Green finished Round 9 with the E2 class win, clocking in after seven tests with a total time of 1:02:57.730. Rounding out the podium today was Higlett and Riley Graham, with respective total times of 1:05:21.279 and 1:05:26.189.
2022 AORC Round 9 E2 Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Joshua Green (Shop Yamaha Offroad Racing Team) 1:02:57.730
- Fraser Higlett (Beta) 1:05:21.279
- Riley Graham 1:05:26.189
- Liam Mason 1:07:14.252
- Travis Silk 1:09:15.373
E2 day 2
Josh Green gave it everything to claim the Round 10 win in E2 with Fraser Higlett and Riley Graham hot on his heels. Round 10 marks Higlett’s second podium for the 2022 season, with today’s results hopefully catapulting his drive as we head into the final rounds.
Graham had a fantastic weekend and was a very welcome face returning to the AORC paddock. Higlett and Graham finished Round 10 with respective times of 1:01:37.288 and 1:03:26.349.
2022 AORC Round 10 E2 Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Joshua Green (Shop Yamaha Offroad Racing Team) 59:50.015
- Fraser Higlett (Beta) 1:01:37.288
- Riley Graham (Yamaha, SKDA) 1:03:26.349
- Liam Mason 1:04:59.040
- Travis Silk 1:06:05.293
E3 day 1
Husqvarna’s Andrew Wilksch continued his form into Kingston SE, finishing Round 9 with the E3 class win. Crossing the finish line with a total time of 1:01:33.620, Wilksch also set a scorching pace, earning him the scratch overall time for the day.
Behind Wilksch in second was Jonte Reynders put a Sherco on the podium with a total time of 1:03:32.282 ahead of Jye Dickson with a total time of 1:04:45.858. Dickson has hit the ground running after jumping from motocross to enduro.
2022 AORC Round 9 E3 Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Andrew Wilksch (Simford Racing, Husqvarna) 1:01:33.620
- Jonte Reynders (Motul Pirelli Sherco Team) 1:03:32.282
- Jye Dickson (KTM Offroad Racing Team) 1:04:45.858
- Hayden Keeley 1:08:11.573
- Baylee Davies 1:08:28.480
E3 day 2
Although yesterday was pretty much perfect for Andy Wilksch, day two proved to be a struggle as he fought his Husqvarna though very tight and technical tests. The WR450F test offered up ruts and needed plenty of body to get the best out of them and, after six laps, Wilksch finished with a total time of 59:14.070 to take the class win.
Jonte Reynders had another strong day, landing his consecutive podium spot with a total time of 59:57.378. The Tasmanian local will now return home to gear up for an exciting final two rounds on his local terrain.
Bronze also went once more to Jye Dickson, with a total time of 1:01:19.378.
2022 AORC Round 10 E3 Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Andrew Wilksch (Simford Racing, Husqvarna) 59:14.070
- Jonte Reynders (Motul Pirelli Sherco Team) 59:57.378
- Jye Dickson (KTM Offroad Racing Team) 1:01:19.378
- Baylee Davies (Buildrite) 1:04:11.216
- Hayden Keeley (Hunter Valley Motorsports, Alpinestars Australia) 1:04:50.891
Enduro Women day 1
Jessica Gardiner clocking in at 1:13:56.619 to take the day one win and sit on the brink of a historic 100 podiums in class in the AORC series. Second place again went to Emelie Karlsson, who should have been at home in conditions not dissimilar to her native Northern European homeland on day one in Kingston.
After her underdog win back in Mendooran for Round 6, Taylor Thompson had a target on her back in EW for this weekend of racing. After seven laps and a tough, technical course though, Thompson finished a hard day of racing in third.
2022 AORC Round 9 EW Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Jessica Gardiner (Yamaha JGR Ballard’s Off Road Team) 1:13:56.619
- Emelie Karlsson (KTM Offroad Racing Team) 1:16:12.850
- Taylor Thompson 1:18:55.367
- Monique Simioni 1:25:04.240
- Emma Haylock 1:34:42.189
EW day 2
100 podiums is an enormous achievement and in notching up consecutive EW wins this weekend Jess Gardiner has her hands all-but on the trophy yet again.
Behind Gardiner in second place once again, Emelie Karlsson was five minutes adrift in the times on a hard weekend for the mind and body.
Rounding out the EW Round 10 podium was Yamaha’s Taylor Thompson, who finished today with a total time of 1:19:06.228.
2022 AORC Round 10 EW Top 5 Provisional Results:
- Jessica Gardiner (Yamaha JGR Ballard’s Off Road Team) 1:08:28.923
- Emelie Karlsson (KTM Offroad Racing Team) 1:13:43.575
- Taylor Thompson 1:19:06.228
- Monique Simioni (Marriotts) 1:25:45.103
- Chloe Barton (BMS Racing, Castrol) 1:53:26.671
The 2022 AORC series heads south to Wynyard, Tasmania for the series finale, Rounds 11 & 12 from October 8-9.
More information and full results: www.aorc.org.au