2022 Red Bull Romaniacs results: Jarvis extends 15-plus minute lead with one day to go
Results from off-road day three at the 2022 Red Bull Romaniacs where Graham Jarvis claimed the day win and extended his overall lead to 15+ minutes over the fight for second between Teo Kabakchiev and Mario Roman.
2022 Red Bull Romaniacs Off-road day 3 in a nutshell:
- After a night at the ski resort, high in the mountains south of Sibiu, the breathtaking day three start was above 2000 metres and above the clouds.
- A fast, open and grassy mountain course suited the speed merchants first thing but things changed when riders headed back into the rocky valleys and switchback climbs. Just before the service point, normal service for this week resumed with Graham Jarvis out front as the going got technical again.
- The thick of the day’s action brought another relentless set of difficult ups and downs before arriving at the live broadcast “Broke Back Mountain” which riders tackled three times just before the finish. (you can re-watch that broadcast here).
- After falling back before the service point, Manuel Lettenbichler put on a charge in the afternoon and pulled himself back up to Graham’s back wheel and the pair arrived at the final climb well-clear of their rivals.
- The German continues to jump up the leaderboard following his day one time penalty and went on to cross the line first, finish second on corrected time which now puts him sixth overall...
- Not needing to worry about Mani’s result, Jarvis crossed the line P2 but crucially more than five minutes clear of Mario Roman in third on the day. Overall, Graham now holds a 15:44s lead in front of Teo Kabakchiev with just one, hard day left.
- Roman was also setting fast check times and clearly had day three down as marker to make hay. Mario finished third on the day, five minutes down on Graham but two minutes faster than Teo to close the gaps in the fight for the podium places.
- Kabakchiev continues to impress and though he was fifth on day three, he sits a comfortable second scratch, 15:44 behind with a six minutes cushion over Roman third.
- Michael Walkner was another rider on a roll today and finished fourth, just one minute down on Mario. The result cements his P4 overall as the Austrian has now pulled almost 10 minutes on Trystan Hart who was sixth, but is fifth placed in the standings.
- As has been the pattern all week, the top six are stretched well-clear of the rest of the Gold class with best placed Junior Matty Green next best in P7, riding close on the track with David Cyprian and Suff Sella. They trio of youngsters came home around one hour behind on the front runners.
- Taddy fans will note he’s not in the results today after he pulled out with the recovery of his wrist still not quite where it should be (and this event being a bit tough on the wrists). He is joined by Alfredo Gomez who also DNF’d, suffering with stomach issues and dehydration like many of the riders have done this last day or so after some dodgy food.
- Chris Birch and Fabien Poirot basically rode day three together in the Silver class, relaxed seemingly and helping each other. The win will come down to the final day between these two with the wily fox Birchy only needing to play follow the leader to secure another Romaniacs trophy for himself.
- Edgar Silins leads overall in the Bronze class ahead of Marius Popovici but Alexis Berepion third in class needs to look over his shoulder as Matthias Walkner clearly enjoyed the faster early tracks today to close in on a podium with the factory KTM rally bike.
- Ovidiu Nistor was physically the first rider of all over the finish line today, setting the Iron class benchmark followed by Arron Flynn. Nistor now has a 16 minutes lead heading into the final day.
- Evan Mathews set the fastest time in the Atom class on day three but Chris Beecroft leads overall by a whopping 29 minutes.
* some results will update
2022 Romaniacs day 3 results, Gold class:
Scratch overall top 10 standings after day 3:
Check top 10 overall standings (all classes) here: 2022 Red Bull Romaniacs: overall top 10 standings for all classes after day 3 – one day to go
2022 Romaniacs day 3 results, Silver class:
2022 Romaniacs day 3 results, Bronze class:
2022 Romaniacs day 3 results, Iron class:
2022 Romaniacs day 3 results, Atom class:
Photo Credit: Attila Szabo | Red Bull Content Pool + Future7Media | Andrea Belluschi