The wait is over for Gas Gas lovers — the all-new EC and XC Racing two-stroke enduro bikes have arrived.
Gas Gas have officially launched their new range of bikes unveiling the EC and XC 250 and 300 two strokes in Spain to the world’s press.
Branding it the Phoenix Project, GasGas are rising from the flames with their latest offerings and by all accounts from our Enduro21 tester, the bikes are bang on the money too.
“First impressions are good,” tells Jon Pearson from the Spanish launch. “We’ve been patiently waiting for what GasGas had in store and they’re right on point.
“We just had the 300 two-stroke to ride and I can say everything feels and rides exactly as it should be. And for a new bike that’s hard to get right first time.”
“The chassis is accurate in that you can hit your lines right and the power is linear. GasGas made a bike which matches expectations.”
We’ll bring a more detailed test review in the coming weeks but here’s the technical look at what’s on the table for the EC and XC models.
Gas Gas is proud to present the new Gas Gas EC/XC, its symbol of renewal. An enduro bike that joins together in one unique formula all the ingredients for maximum reliability, top specs, confidence, versatility, easy to ride and mechanically accessible.
This is an innovative bike from its very conception, designed around a central backbone frame. A structural element in combination with new geometry and top quality suspension (Kayaba front and back), giving the new Gas Gas weapon lightness and sensitivity in riding.
The new Gas Gas EC/XC has been conceived and designed for easy, quick mechanical accessibility, suitable for riders of all levels right across the broad spectrum in the world of enduro, both professional and amateur, thanks to its versatility, power and ease of riding.
The new Gas Gas EC/XC has new geometry for a bike with a visibly lighter and narrower shape, only 105 kg, with a greater turn angle.
The Gas Gas EC/XC 2018 range has a powerful new engine with a new thermodynamic. It is to be manufactured in two capacities (250/300cc), with electric start. It is going to be a delight for riders with even more performance than its two-stroke predecessors.
The model components feature Kayaba suspension, Magura clutch cylinder, the FMF Powercore 2.1 silencer — manufactured exclusively for Gas Gas — Kehin PWK 38 carburettor, Excel wheels and Metzeler Six Days tyres, as well as the Nissan brake calipers and cylinders and the NG discs.
NEW BIKE COMPONENTS
- Central backbone frame, completely redesigned, less torsional stiffness and low weight
- Aluminium sub-frame with new profiles, lighter and more resistant
- Kayaba (KYB) 48 front fork, AOS (Air/Oil Separation) system
- Kayaba (KYB) monoshock
- Greater turn angle.
- Fully redesigned aluminium alloy swingarm, optimized and lightened.
- Optimised link with wishbone and rocker system, new progressive rear suspension.
- Completely redesigned chain guide system and rollers .
- Easier chain tensioner adjustment.
- Rear axle designed for faster removal.
- EXCEL rims with silver galvanized spokes.
- Nissin rear brake and slave cylinder system.
- MAGURA clutch cylinder.
- NG brake discs.
- Narrower petrol tank with a large 10L fuel capacity
- Larger air filter housing volume.
- Rapid filter removal system through the side cover number panel.
- Inlet system (filter, spider assembly, canister and nozzle).
- Narrower seat with lateral mounting covered with a larger foam base to improve comfort.
- Lighter foot pegs with more grip and greater surface area.
- Redesign of the whole body of the motorcycle, narrower, more aggressive and more comfortable.
- Radiator grilles
- Fork protectors
- Frame protectors
- Electrical installation and distribution of its components (battery, CDI, starter relay, regulator and coil)
- New multifunction speedometer display
- LED rear light and headlight
NEW ENGINE COMPONENTS
- Motor Gas Gas EC, new thermodynamic and higher performance
- New crankshaft
- Cylinder with new distribution
- Cylinder head with new strut
- FMF Powercore 2.1 exhaust silencer designed exclusively for Gas Gas
- New cooling system
- Improved clutch lubrication system
2018 Gas Gas EC & XC Racing Technical Data
Robert LynnEditor: firstname.lastname@example.org