Results feed: Italian EnduroGP day 1 – Freeman on fire
Results feed from day one of the 2020 Italian EnduroGP in Spoleto where Brad Freeman has blasted to a devastating 45 seconds win ahead of championship red plate holder Steve Holcombe.
Italian EnduroGP 2020 in a nutshell:
- On a technically difficult day for all riders on day one in Spoleto, Bradley Freeman was in a class of one blasting into a 30-plus second lead by the first test of lap two which would eventually grow to 45 seconds scratch and victory by 1.49s in E3 class...today was a very good day for Brad.
- Finally on lap three, when Freeman had taken his hand off the gas just a little, Steve Holcombe, Thomas Oldrati and Loic Larrieu were each able to grab test wins. Red plate holder Holcombe says he suffered with setting issues on the opening laps but P2 overall and the E2 class win were good for points. If he wants to challenge his teammate on day two though he will have plenty to think about overnight.
- P3 overall went to Thomas Oldrati on the RedMoto Honda who finished just 1.4s ahead of Andrea Verona in E1 class (and in doing so won the unofficial best Italian rider category). Fellow Italian Alex Salvini was sadly forced to retire suffering with his long-standing shoulder injury.
- Wil Ruprecht took the early lead in the Juniors before Hamish Macdonald set about establishing himself at the top of the time sheets heading into lap two. A duff second visit to the Extreme test lost the Kiwi 40 seconds and allowed Theo Espinasse into a lead from where the Sherco pairing traded test wins but Espinasse, the championship points leader, did enough for the Junior and J2 win from Macdonald with Ruprecht third. Roni Kytonen was best placed J1 rider in fifth overall.
- Fantic will be delighted again with Jed Etchells who backed up his French GP win with the 125 class overall win on the Italian manufacturer’s home soil today. Jed had a blip in the Extreme test on lap two allowing Sergio Navarro in front but regained the lead with a superb Enduro test on lap three. Sergio did not give up and finished four seconds back with both over a minute clear of third placed Youth, Claudio Spanu.
- Belgian Mathias Van Hoof was the fastest Open World Cup rider ahead of compatriot Dietger Damiaens with Italian Alessio Paoli third.
- Day two looks like being a wet one at what is already a tough set of tests in Spoleto…
EnduroGP scratch results, Italy GP day 1:
E1 results, Italy GP day 1:
E2 results, Italy GP day 1:
E3 results, Italy GP day 1:
Junior scratch results, Italy GP day 1:
Youth 125 results, Italy GP day 1:
Open class scratch results, Italy GP day 1:
Photo Credit: Enduro21 | Andrea Belluschi