Alfredo Gomez wins the 2022 Hard Enduro Arsenal
After three days of racing, Alfredo Gomez claimed victory at the 2022 Hard Enduro Arsenal - the first round of the Romanian Hard Enduro Championship with Teodor Kabakchiev and David Cyprian rounding out the podium.
2022 Hard Enduro Arsenal in a nutshell:
- David Cyprian got to a strong start at the first round of the 2022 Romanian Hard Enduro Championship. The Czech posted the fastest time on the 10-kilometre prologue with Teodor Kabakchiev second and Alfredo Gomez third.
- On the second day, riders faced 80 kilometres of pure extreme enduro. Gomez took advantage of his starting position and went into full attack mode to reach the finish line first – despite losing nearly four minutes when his bike got stuck in a root.
- Kabakchiev maintained his second position 3m 43s behind Alfredo with local rider Kozsa Norbert in third, 40 minutes down from the winner. Cyprian had a day to forget and as he said on his social media, as he spent more time pushing the bike than riding it.
- The third day brought an easier track and it didn’t go so well for Alfredo who chose a soft tyre and mousse combo. Despite that, the AG Racing Team rider finished second, just 15 seconds behind Kabakchiev which was enough to claim the overall win.
- Kabakchiev took silver 3m 2s behind Alfredo in the added time with Cyprian jumping up to third place, but he was nearly 50 minutes down by the end.
- “On the first day of the race I felt great on the bike! I had the perfect grip all day, and at one point I think I had almost eight-minute advantage, until I hooked the bike under a root with the foot-peg.” Said Alfredo.
- “I lost about 3-4 minutes trying to unlock the bike and move on. This is where Teo caught up with me. I saw him at the bottom of the climb, and I knew I had to push hard again so as not to lose the advantage. From there until the finish I was wide open, even on the sections where theoretically we could relax a little.
- “The last day of the race at Arsenal was very fast. I chose a very soft tyre, soft mousse, and I couldn't give everything on the speed sections. Yet I finished second, just 15 seconds from Kabakchiev to secure first overall.”
- Sandra Gomez also raced in Romania and placed a respectable 15th.
2022 Hard Enduro Arsenal results:
Photo Credit: Mihai Birca