2023 SuperEnduro: Bolt off to a flyer at round one in Poland
Results from the opening round of the 2023 FIM SuperEnduro World Championship in Krakow, Poland where Billy Bolt nailed a perfect start to the season with three moto wins for the overall ahead of Jonny Walker and Cody Webb.
2023 SuperEnduro round one, Krakow, in a nutshell:
- If anyone was doubting whether Billy Bolt would ease himself back into racing after five months off, first practice times, then Super Pole and proceeding races proved the big man was coming out swinging. As last season, the times looked close and it promised a competitive race night…if you ignored Billy out front.
- Bolt bagged the Superpole fastest lap on the shortish track, 1.2 seconds ahead of Taddy Blazusiak and Dominik Olszowy making it two Polish riders fast out the blocks in third.
- The track needs mention here. The lap layout was quite neat, filling the Krakow stadium nicely with a mix of obstacles but it wasn’t spectacular and the dirt was soft, sandy, rutted up quickly and both sucked speed and energy out the bikes and riders. SuperEnduro is always hard work but this was as hard as it gets.
- Jonny Walker and Cody Webb made strong starts in the first Prestige moto but Bolt wasn’t far off and within the first lap had jumped past both for the lead. It wasn’t plane sailing because of the track but Bolt in the end took a 17 seconds win and almost lapped Blazusiak in the fourth before taking the flag.
- Moto two was the reverse grid and although first Alfredo Gomez and then Taddy would lead, Billy took his time (see image three above) and sailed to a 30 second win.
- Just like last season, the story here is Billy made the track look easier than everyone else and in many cases like he was playing a different game. The moto three win meant it was another perfect clean sweep for the Husqvarna rider at this first round of the season.
- “It’s been a long few months without racing so it feels really good to be back. I’ve been a bit of a nightmare for everyone being off the bike but I’m pleased to be back racing. I’ve got work to do for sure, my fitness is definitely not where it should be but tonight was not a bad way to start the season. I’ve got a few weeks now to work on my fitness and come out swinging at round two in Germany.”
- Jonny Walker carried his EnduroCross form into Krakow and was easily the best of the rest with a 2-2-2 scorecard. Walker said afterwards it felt like a win after so many poor results over teh years in Poland. The Beta rider set fastest laps and helped make the best race of the night in moto three with the holeshot and then holding off Billy for the first half the race until the inevitable overtake came.
- Cody Webb went 3-3-3 across the motos and though he was consistent in third, and clearly solid for that final podium spot overall, the gaps were big to Jonny and especially Billy out front. Still it was good to see the Sherco rider on the podium again.
- By hook or by crook Taddy Blazusiak nailed fourth despite plenty of get-offs hampering his overall result. Cooper Abbott made his SuperEnduro debut and took a fine fifth in the thick of some hard action in the mid-pack and the series regulars.
- Not many people (including the rider himself) would have put British rider Mitchell Brightmore as the overall Junior class winner. But Brightmore dominated all three Junior class motos, mastering the tough course ahead of Milan Schmueser second with a 2-2-3 scorecard and brother Ashton Brightmore making it two brothers in the top three overall on the TTR Racing GASGAS’.
Prestige class heat 1 results:
Prestige class heat 2 results:
Prestige class heat 3 results:
Prestige class overall results:
Prestige class Super Pole results:
Junior class heat 1 results:
Junior class heat 2 results:
Junior class heat 3 results:
Junior class overall results:
Open Class overall:
Photo Credit: Future7Media | Andrea Belluschi