Sleek design and high safety standards for the new Scott MX 550 helmet.
“Three years ago,” Scott says, “we sat down with professional motocross and enduro riders and tried to define what exactly the requirements were for the sports that they practice.” Scott found two main requirements form that research: ventilation and safety.
Three years later the MX 550 arrives developed specifically around those criteria as well as to “pretty much disappear on your head” according to Scott.
Safety is high on the agenda and the MX 550 addresses the two main types of impacts in off road riding: radial (impacts straight onto the head) and angular (impacts causing rotation of the head passed to the brain).
The MX 550 uses two different densities of EPS in the construction. ‘Conehead’ technology is a unique construction design which helps reduce injury from radial impacts.
Photo Credit: Jonty Edmunds/Future7Media
Scott also uses the MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System) in the MX 550. MIPS is an independently researched and produced protection system widely used in sports which use helmets (motorcycling, cycling, American football etc).
MIPS has been proven to reduce rotational movement in a helmet by “absorbing and redirecting energies and forces otherwise transmitted to the brain” according to MIPS Protection.
Otherwise we think it is a pretty cool-looking helmet design with sleek and seamless lines with no edges to the peak or visor anchor points and no external venting. We can't wait to test it.
Scott MX 550 essential details:
- Conehead construction with two different density layers of EPS with unique geometry between the layers to increase impact protection.
- MIPS safety protection aimed at reducing rotational violence to the brain in case of angled impacts.
- Wind tunnel tested ventilation channels fed by a huge front vent make it “the most ventilated helmet on the market” after benchmark testing against competitors.
- Adjustable ventilation flowRemovable and washable linings.
- Double d-ring chin strap“Massive” ventilation channels throughout the helmet.
- ECE-R 22.05 compliant safety standard.
- Range of colours including the matt finish shown.
- Replaceable parts including the visor.
Enduro21 Tester of Things