2022 Dakar Rally Results: Daniel Sanders fastest on stage 1A prologue
Results from the 2022 Dakar Rally where GASGAS Factory Racing’s Daniel Sanders has set the fastest time on the opening day’s short prologue (stage 1A) ahead of Pablo Quintanilla and Ross Branch.
Dakar Stage 1A (prologue) in a nutshell:
- 409 vehicles officially started the 2022 Dakar Rally in Saudi Arabia this morning with 144 bikes in total and 33 competing the Original by Motul (Malle Moto) class.
- Riders were able to travel the 595 kilometres of liaison section in support vehicles if they wanted to (or were able) which meant a relaxed start to the ’22 Dakar for some.
- A very short, 19km timed special, stage 1A, gave competitors their first racing test on the Saudi sand this year and it was Daniel Sanders who began the sharpest with a time of 55.3 on the GASGAS.
- Pablo Quintanilla was second fastest on his HRC CRF450, exactly one minute slower with Ross Branch third in a time of 57.25 on the Yamaha. Kevin Benavides was narrowly fourth in front of his new KTM teammate Matthias Walkner making it four manufacturers in the top five.
- MotoGP rider Danillo Petrucci came home in 23rd right behind the Sherco Factory riders including Rui Goncalves who got an early taste of the soft stuff...
Stage 1A’s finishing positions determine the start order for tomorrow’s Stage 1B, the real start of the race. The top 15 finishers choose their start place in result order and though today’s result is not crucial, where you start each day is the daily game of chess riders play to (following is easier than leading especially in the dunes).
Stage 1B is a loop beginning and ending in HA’IL and will see a total of 513km with 333km as timed special.
2022 Dakar Rally Stage 1A results (top 40):
Photo Credit: RallyZone